Osteopaths attach great importance to the basic principles, which are always applied to every patient:
- The body is a unit; the person is a unit of body, mind, and spirit.
- The body is capable of self-regulation, self-healing, and health maintenance.
- Structure and function are reciprocally interrelated.
- Rational treatment is based upon an understanding of the basic principles of body unity, self-regulation, and the interrelationship of structure and function.
(American Osteopathic Association, AOA)
Practitioners further understand the importance of the following points:
- Optimal health can only be realized by a coordinated interplay of body, mind, and spirit*.
- Every structure of the body should function as a whole.
- The practitioner supports the body structure to restore and encourage the natural self-healing abilities of the body.
- Finally, all rules are applied to establish a good and healthy state.
* The spirit reflects how experienced a soul is.